I don’t eat dessert much, but there are occasions where it’s nice to indulge every once in a while. With the weather turning colder and a nip in the air the comforting tastes of cinnamon and ginger are beckoning. Fortunately, I had just the occasion to create a yummy treat combining these delicious spices – my father’s birthday, and his favorite: carrot cake.
I have attempted several gluten-free, vegan carrot cake recipes in the past with varying success until I finally concocted this one which I adore. It was based off of a recipe by Minimalist Baker for zucchini cake. With some tweaks and adjustments and no zucchini…the recipe turns out great. Moist and fluffy. You can opt for add ins if you want such as raisins or walnuts, even cranberries or chocolate chips (I’d recommend 1/2 c of two options if you’d like). You’ll make more than 12 cupcakes but the more the merrier!
These cupcakes are great left over, I typically store mine in the fridge and pop one in the microwave for 28 seconds in the morning for breakfast.
You can also top with vegan cashew cream cheese icing if you prefer. Delicious!
1 1/2 Cups grated carrots
1 Tsp. vanilla extract
1 Cup sugar
1 Tsp. baking powder
1 Tsp. baking soda
1/4 Cup coconut oil (can sub other)
1/4 – 1/3 Cup unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp ground flax meal (prepare 5 min prior to use)
5 Tbsp water
1/2 Tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Cups gluten free flour
3/4 Cup almond meal (store bought or freshly ground almonds)
1/4 Cup gluten free oat flour
1/4 Tsp salt
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line cupcake pan with paper or silicone liners.
- In a bowl or kitchen aid stand mixer, mix together sugar, oil, applesauce, flax eggs, and grated carrots.
- Add vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add almond meal, gluten free flour blend, and gluten free oats flour.
- Add apple cider vinegar and quickly mix again to combine. The batter will be thick but easy to pour.
- Let batter sit from 5 to 15 minutes, this will allow the moisture to be incorporated into the rice flour and prevent grainy texture
- Pour batter into cupcake molds 2/3 way full and bake for approximately 28 minutes. (Toothpick inserted comes out clean).
- Cool on wire rack. Store in airtight container.
Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 Cups raw cashews soaked in water overnight
- 1/4 Cup non-dairy milk
- 1 Cup powdered sugar (can use honey or maple syrup, use less liquid if you do)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. (I have found vitamix works best for me.)
- Adjust the sweetness to taste.
- Can also add a bit of lemon juice for taste.
- Feel free to add more milk as needed.
- Will firm up in the fridge
- Ice cupcakes once completely cool.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 223, Total Fat 10 g, Total Carbs 31 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 19 g, Protein 4 g