Well if you just can’t kick that craving for french fries I have a solution for you. Now, I have to be honest, white potatoes are not the best choice for a healthy body. Potatoes are high in iron but are very starchy vegetables which tend to allow the unhealthy bugs in our gut to proliferate while starving out the healthy ones. This leads to increased inflammation in the body. Combine that with deep frying in oil and we have a bacterial apocalypse! So there, I said it. Happy gut, happy body.
Now, I can’t work around the potato much, french fries are french fries – done deal. You can substitute jicima if you’d like but the results aren’t as reliable. (I will eventually post this recipe as well, still tweaking.) Sweet potatoes are actually a quite nutritious alternative and have a large variety of essential vitamins your body needs. But they are also rather starchy which lends itself to the same gut bacteria balance issue. And they are a bit harder to crisp up as fries… But if you just get that craving every once in a while I have a great healthified version! Drum roll… One of my abosulte favorite kitchen appliances – the airfryer! Oh, it makes life so easy sometimes. And no, I don’t get paid for endorsement, it’s just amazing. So now, without any further ado, the recipe:
Servings – 2
- 3 Organic Yukon Gold potatoes, small to medium in size
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt, pepper and parsley flakes to taste
- Wash and then slice potatoes into strips, you can do thick or thin, I prefer thin. I also do not peel the potatoes (the peel houses many nutirents)
- Soak potato strips for at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours or so changing out the water a few times
- Dry potatoes on a kitchen towel for at least 15 minutes.
- The longer you dry, the crispier the fry!
- Set Airfryer to 390 deg F.
- Place potato strips in a bowl and either drizzle or spray on olive oil to barely coat the strips. They don’t even have to be fully coated.
- Place potatoes in air frier for 10 minutes shaking 1-2 times while cooking. Depending on the thickness of fry and the amount in the firer. They may be done so take a peek. You may need an additional 5-7 minutes to get desired crispiness.
- Place fries onto a paper towel and season immediately. You’re welcome to become more creative in your seasoning too. Add garlic powder, basil, chipotle powder or vegan parmesean cheese! My son likes to turn his fries into his new obsession, Canadian Poutine, he’s not vegan 😉
I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Nutrition Facts per serving: Calories 185, Carbs 39 g, Fat 3 g, Protein 5 g, Sugars 2 g