This soup is absolutely delicious. Broccoli is probably my favorite vegetable and I have always loved that creamy, cheesy soup. Especially in the fall and winter time. Who doesn’t want a bit of healthy and hearty goodness with those decadent flavors reminiscent of home cooking.
This recipe encompasses those home flavors with vegan and gluten free ingredients. And it has survived the taste test. My son (10 years old), husband and culinary friend all agree this soup holds up to the toughest critics. Oh, and did I mention, it’s incredible simple to make!
Cook Time : 10 minutes Prep time : 10 minutes Total Time: 20 Minutes
Makes: 9 Cups (Can halve recipe)
- 2 Bunch Broccoli (2 heads or approximately 7 cups chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Almonds, soaked in water for at least 6 hours and drained
- 1/2-1 Cups Nut Milk of your choice or coconut milk (I make all of my milks to skip the additives, I will post recipes shortly) – choose amount based on desired thickness
- 2-4 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast (I like the yeast flavor so I always add 4)
- 1 Tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 Tsp Black pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric (turmeric has wonderful anti-inflammatory properties and I include it whenever I can, it has a subtle flavor, if you don’t like it just skip it)
- 12 .3 oz Organic, Non-GMO Silken Tofu (I used moringa, nori-mu)**
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranate Seeds – optional
- Cook Broccoli in your preferred method of cooking until it is fork tender. (I prefer to steam mine but boiling or roasting will work as well*.)
- Drain broccoli and place in blender (i used a Vitamix) with drained almonds and 1/2 cup of nut milk. Blend until it starts to get smooth.
- Add in nutritional yeast, spices and tofu and continue to blend adding any additional milk until desired thickness is reached.
- Serve as is OR garnish with pomegranate seeds.
This recipe will thicken over time while stored in fridge, feel free to add milk or water to thin it out a bit when reheating. I hope you enjoy!
Nutrition Facts per 1 Cup: 146 calories, 3.4 g fat, 15 g net carbs, 9 g fiber, 0.2 g sugar, Protein 5.4 g.
**If you are averse to soy, this can be replaced with 1/3 c cashews soaked in water for at least 6 hours plus 1/4 cup water.